Janet McDonagh Artist & Textile Embroiderer
Welcome to my website,
I am a qualified embroiderer, mixed media and textile artist based in Walton on Thames, (leafy) Surrey. I frequently attend workshops and art/textile/life drawing classes and have sketched and stitched from a very early age. Recently I put down my needle and thread and picked up a paintbrush, embarking on yet more art classes to improve my skills.
I find inspiration for my paintings in many sources, I love painting and sketching portraits and really enjoy capturing a likeness. My paintings are from life and photographs and I enjoy experimenting with different techniques and mediums. Recently I have added alcohol inks into my mixed bag of art materials and love to try and contain its wild property’s to paint objects. Probably my favourite style of stitching is free motion machine embroidery where I can sketch and colour pictures using a needle and thread. I have produced many works in traditional embroidery, felting and acrylic painting and studied watercolour techniques.
I have completed a number of commissions in embroidery and portraiture and very happy to discuss your requirements regarding subject, dimensions, craft technique and budget. Please feel free to contact me.
Commissions undertaken can be textile, felting, embroidery, portraiture or paintings.
I also produce handmade textile/crafted cards and prints of any of my finished paintings seen in the website gallery.
I have had various works exhibited at the following venues:-
- 2016 Group Textile Exhibition – Riverhouse Barn
- 2017 Elmbridge Moving Arts
- 2017 Participated in Pintar Rapido Event – Chelsea Town Hall
- 2018 Walton Art Society – Celebrate Exhibition
- 2019 ‘Taking Shape’ joint exhibition with Cathy Spooner at the Robert Phillips Gallery
- 23rd June to 4th July 2021 – Riverhouse Barn Textile Exhibition, Walton on Thames
- 30th July – 1st Aug 2021 – Chertsey Artists Summer Exhibition, The Orangery, Squires GC, Halliford
- 18th September 2021 – Walton Heritage Day, Bridge Street, Walton on Thames.